Halls of Residence NZ$350 – NZ$420 a week

Halls of Residence accommodation (fully catered) is available to NZIBT students on campus on a temporary basis. You will enjoy living on campus alongside fellow international students and Kiwi students from around New Zealand.

If you are living on campus in the Halls of Residence your meals will be fully catered in the dining hall. Meals are served at the following days/times:

  • Breakfast (Monday to Friday: 7.30 - 9.30am)
  • Brunch (Saturday: 8.00 - 11.00am and Sunday 9.00am – 12noon
  • Dinner (Monday – Sunday: 5.30 – 7.30pm)
Homestay NZ$110 – NZ$270 a week

Homestay means living with a family in their home. Living in a home stay provides students with an excellent opportunity to experience life with a New Zealand family and is the perfect way to help you improve your English and understand New Zealand culture under the roof of a safe environment. Any home-stay that NZIBT recommends will have already been visited and checked to ensure it is suitable for students. Homestay offers independence, clean and comfortable accommodation. In addition, you will meet a friendly family to talk to, exchange cultures, and have a Kiwi friend forever!

You will be provided with your own private room, 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), bathroom and laundry facilities.

Hostels NZ$110 – NZ$270 a week

Hostels are usually run by organisations such as Youth Hostels New Zealand and the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). Students share kitchen and bathroom facilities.

Share accommodation NZ$50 – NZ$160 a week
Rental accommodation NZ$70 – NZ$350 a week

Students often share with fellow students. They advertise online, and on noticeboards and in newspapers. Students may have to provide their own furniture which can often be bought cheaply second-hand. When renting a house, apartment, or bed-sitter, property, owners require rent to be paid in advance and will require a security bond of up to the value of one month’s rent.

Airport Pickup

On arrival to New Zealand, we will arrange for free airport pick up. Please inform us of the flight details 72 hours beforehand.


The legal age for drinking alcohol in New Zealand is 18 years. If you are under 18 you are not allowed to enter a bar or nightclub or purchase alcohol.

Even if you are over 18, you may be asked to show photographic identification before you enter a bar or club or when buying alcohol at retail outlets.


Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes and should notify Lecturers if they are unable to attend because of illness or any other reason. In accordance with the Ministry of Education’s Code of Practical for the Pastoral Care of International Students and as a requirement for student visas, attendance will be monitored.


Students are expected to respect other people and property. Students whose behaviour is detrimental to the institute or to other students, may, after warnings, be asked to leave the institute.

Further details on attendance and behavior are available in the Student Handbook, which students receive during orientation week.

Cost of living in New Zealand

Living in the Canterbury region is cheaper than living in Auckland, but the cost varies substantially depending on your location, lifestyle and choice of accommodation. To live cheaply, you might want to share a room and cook for yourself or alternatively opt for a Homestay arrangement.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at

If you decide to opt into the Studentsafe-University insurance plan you will receive free health care from the Doctor, the Nurses, or the Counselling staff at the Student Health and Support on-campus at Lincoln University for matters coming under the scope of the insurance plan.

For all other claims outside the scope of the insurance plan you will be fully liable and NZIBT have no liability in respect of claims which are a matter between you and the insurer.

Living Costs (estimated NZD$ per week)

Accommodation (depending on type of accommodation)

$350 - $500

Phone calls (from landline and depending if local or international calling)

$10 - $30+

Mobile phone


Food – eating at home

$60 - $100

Public transport

$20 - $50

Personal items, entertainment


Cup of coffee

$3.50 - $5

Café lunch

$10 - $25

Fast food, takeaway food

$5 - $15


$10 - $15

Dinner, disco, nightclub

$25 - $80

*These are estimates only and are intended to give you an indication of possible costs of living in New Zealand.

New Zealand has 15% Goods and Services Tax (GST) included in all costs.

Student Visa

International students are required to have a valid student visa during their stay in New Zealand. Once you have received an Offer of Place from NZIBT and you have paid your tuition fees, you should apply for a student visa from your nearest Immigration New Zealand office

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at

Smoking and Tobacco in New Zealand

The sale of cigarettes and tobacco products to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited in New Zealand. Smoking is not permitted in most public buildings, including cafes, restaurants and workplaces, or on public transport. For further information on the smokefree law in New Zealand, see >

Student Fee Protection, Withdrawals and Refunds

NZIBT adheres to Section 236A of the Education Act 1989 and subsequent amendments. It has an approved Trust Account for Student Fee protection and Student Fee Indemnification (the remaining portion of a student’s fee at any point of the programme). The Trust Account is sufficient to cover the full amount of student fees and is administered by The Public Trust.

Details on NZIBT’s Withdrawal and Refund Policy can be found here

Travel and Medical Insurance

All international students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance for the duration of their planned period of study at NZIBT.

NZIBT can offer insurance cover through Lincoln University’s preferred insurance plan - Studentsafe-University. It is recommended you take up this option as having the Studentsafe-University insurance cover means that you will be eligible to use the Lincoln University Health Centre services on campus. Click for more information

The benefits of Studentsafe-University include:

- Free Health Care from the Doctor, the Nurses, or the Counselling staff at the Student Health and Support on-campus at Lincoln University for matters coming under the scope of the insurance;

- No application forms. The premium will be added to your invoice. Students are automatically insured for up to 31 days prior to the programme start date (including insurance for travel from your home country).

The insurance premium is $590.00* (NZ dollars) for 12 months cover.

*(Price is effective from 1 January 2015 and insurance premiums are subject to occasional market fluctuations).

If you arrange your own medical and travel insurance cover please send a copy of the insurance policy (in English) to no later than two weeks prior to commencing your study. Please be aware that you will not be eligible for the health services offered at Lincoln University.

Terms and Conditions of Enrolment

All applicants are required to provide true and complete information when filling out the application form and attaching documents. Provision of false information may result in the termination of the application / enrolment.

Applicants must review the details of the programme they applying for, to make sure that this is the programme they want to study, and should consider whether the programme will assist them in achieving their career goals and intentions.

A completed International Student Application Form forms the basis of a contract between the applicant and NZIBT.

If entry criteria are met, applicants will receive an Offer of Place letter, which will give advice on programme fees (tuition and non-tuition fees), insurance and date and methods of payment.

To accept an Offer of Place, applicants must sign one copy of the Offer of Place, and return it, with full payment of all fees, by the due date.

Upon receipt of fees, applicants will be sent a receipt, which they can use to apply for a student visa.

Note that the fees will be fully refunded if the applicant is not granted a student visa.

Change of address or contact details

Students are required to notify NZIBT immediately if their address or contact details change.

Student Agreement

During orientation, students are asked to sign an agreement that they will agree to:

  • follow NZIBT policies and procedures
  • attend classes punctually, and notify staff if unable to attend
  • defines their responsibilities when using the computing and information technology facilities
  • be honest in dealings with the other learners/students and staff
  • try to complete any assignments on time and to work on them to the best of their ability
  • ask for 1 to 1 sessions when needed
  • be co-operative and sensitive to the needs of others

Transport and Driving

You can legally drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months if you have either a current driver's licence from your home country or an International Driving Permit (IDP). After 12 months you are required to convert to a New Zealand licence. This applies to each visit to New Zealand. In New Zealand all drivers, including visitors from other countries, must carry their licence or permit at all times when driving. You will only be able to drive the same types of vehicles you are licensed to drive in your home country. The common legal age to rent a car in New Zealand is 21 years.

Make sure your driver's licence is current. If your licence is not fully written English, you must bring an English translation with you or obtain an IDP. Contact your local automobile club for further details about obtaining a translation or an IDP.

Refer to the NZ Transport Agency website for country wide information on New Zealand roads, road rules and vehicle safety. For up to date information on South Island roads you can also call toll free 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).

Explore more here:

Working and Living in New Zealand

International students studying in New Zealand on a student visa can apply for permission to work provided they met the criteria set by Immigration New Zealand.

You may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours each week and full-time during all scheduled vacations and/or during the summer vacation period. For more information

The money you earn from working in New Zealand should only supplement your income and not be used as your only source of income. Before you come to New Zealand, you must show that you have enough money to pay for living expenses, education costs and travel for the duration of your study.

If you do work in New Zealand, you will need to obtain a tax number (IRD number) from Inland Revenue >