Immigration Requirements

Students must meet all the requirements of Immigration New Zealand (INZ) to study in New Zealand. Full details of the requirements can be viewed at

An application for your student visa should be undertaken once your place on the programme has been confirmed to you in the Offer of Place. You may initiate the application with the Immigration New Zealand services via their website or by contacting local New Zealand embassies or High Commissions.

Immigration NZ requires that tuition fees for the first year of study are pre-paid before a student visa will be issued. Students are also required to provide evidence that additional funds are available for living costs.
An Offer of Place at NZIBT does not guarantee that you will be issued with a student visa. If a student does not complete enrolment at NZIBT, we are obliged to notify INZ that the student has not fulfilled the obligations of their visa.


All international students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance for the duration of their planned period of study at NZIBT.

NZIBT can offer insurance cover through Lincoln University’s preferred insurance plan - Studentsafe-University. It is recommended you take up this option as having the Studentsafe-University insurance cover means that you will be eligible to use the Lincoln University Health Centre services on campus. Click for more information.

We can organise the Studentsafe-University insurance for you, please select this option when completing the Student Application Form and we will add the cost of the insurance to your invoice.

The benefits of Studentsafe-University include:

  • Free Health Care from the Doctor, the Nurses, or the Counselling staff at the Student Health and Support on-campus at Lincoln University for matters coming under the scope of the insurance;
  • No application forms. The premium will be added to your invoice. Students are automatically insured for up to 31 days prior to the programme start date (including insurance for travel from your home country).

The insurance premium is $589.00* (NZ dollars) for 12 months cover.

* (Price is effective from 1 January 2015 and insurance premiums are subject to occasional market fluctuations).

If you would like to discuss Family Insurance Policies (via Student-safe-University) please contact NZIBT at

If you decide to organise your own medical and travel insurance cover please send a copy of the insurance policy (in English) to no later than two weeks prior to commencing your study. Please be aware that you will not be eligible for the health services offered at Lincoln University.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at

Under the Studentsafe-University insurance plan you will receive free health care from the Doctor, the Nurses, or the Counselling staff at the Student Health and Support on-campus at Lincoln University for matters coming under the scope of the insurance plan. For all other claims outside the scope of the insurance plan you will be fully liable and NZIBT have no liability in respect of claims which are a matter between you and the insurer.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Admission and English Language Requirements

  1. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over before commencing study at NZIBT.
  2. You need to have a Bachelor degree, or equivalent, to gain admission into the Graduate Diploma.
  3. Students who have relevant experience/qualifications may apply for recognition of prior learning. Refer to the Student Handbook and a hardcopy will be provided to you on your first day at NZIBT.
  4. Tuition may be terminated if the student fails to comply with the rules of behaviour or breaches the conditions of their visa and student permit.
  5. The student must keep the Institute informed of any change in contact information or immigration status.
  6. The student must observe the laws of New Zealand.
  7. English is the language of study at NZIBT. You will need to be able to read and write well in English so that you can understand course materials and also submit written assessments.
  8. If English is your second language we require a recent International English Language Testing System (IELTS) certificate, where you gained an overall band score of 6 or over in the IELTS Academic Module with no band lower than 5.5. The certificate must be less than two years old. Alternatively if you have taken one of the other English Language proficiency tests listed below please provide evidence including the date taken and the results (see the International Student Application Form).

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) requirements for Certificate or Diploma study at Level 6 or 7, Degree at Level 7, Graduate Certificate or Diploma at Level 7

IELTS test

TOEFL Paper-based test (pBT)

TOEFL Internet based test (iBT)

University of Cambridge ESOL examinations


Pearson Test of English (Academic)

City & Guilds IESOL

Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5

Score of 550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)

Score of 60 (with a writing score of 20)

FCE or FCE for schools, or CAE or CPE with a score of 169.  No less than 162 in each skill

Level 4 with the Academic endorsement

PtoE (Academic) score of 50

B2 Communicator with a score of 66

Useful Links:

The Code of Conduct for Pastoral Care of International Students

Immigration New Zealand

Ministry of Education


NZIBT students will have the option to live on campus at the Halls of Residence available at Lincoln University which are fully catered.

On campus the best place for food is Mrs O’s Café and Bar in Te Kete Ika – Food and Function Centre, Lincoln University. There is also a good range of food outlets in the Lincoln township along with a supermarket and other service facilities.

The full range of accommodation options available to suit different budgets and needs are listed in the Student Handbook.

Getting Around Christchurch

Lincoln is within 30 minutes’ drive to Christchurch and the Metro Bus Service operates between Lincoln and Christchurch. Christchurch is an accessible city with the Metro Bus Service being the main public transport option along with Taxis. There is also a Tram system within the central city.

For further information and timetables for the Metro Bus Service please see their website Metro Bus Service or phone them on Metroinfo (03) 366 8855. For further information about public transport in Christchurch please see the Transport for Christchurch website Transport for Christchurch or phone them on (03) 941 8999 or 0800 800 169.

Cost of Living

Living in the Canterbury region is cheaper than living in Auckland, but the cost varies substantially depending on your location, lifestyle and choice of accommodation. To live cheaply, you might want to share a room and cook for yourself or alternatively a Homestay arrangement.
International students in New Zealand typically spend between $250 and $400 a week on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport, international and domestic travel, telephone, and incidental costs.

Living Costs (estimated NZD$ per week)

Accommodation (depending on type of accommodation) -- $350 - $500
Phone calls (from landline)-- $10 - $30+
Mobile phone -- $15+
Food – eating at home -- $60 - $100
Public transport-- $20 - $50
Personal items, entertainment, etc-- $40+

Some Typical Costs (estimated NZD$ per week)
Cup of coffee -- $4 - $5
Lunch in a café -- $10 - $25
Fast food (McDonalds, food court, etc) -- $5 - $15
Take away food -- $5 - $15
Movies -- $10 - $15
A night out (dinner, club, disco, etc) -- $25 - $80
Prices include 15% Goods and Services Tax
A currency converter can be found at

Working in New Zealand

International students studying in New Zealand on a student visa can apply for permission to work provided they met the criteria set by Immigration New Zealand.

You may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours each week and full-time during all scheduled vacations and/or during the summer vacation period. To see the conditions for work rights: Click Here

The money you earn from working in New Zealand should only supplement your income and not be used as your only source of income. Before you come to New Zealand, you must show that you have enough money to pay for living expenses, education costs and travel for the duration of your study.

If you do work in New Zealand, you will need to obtain a tax number (IRD number) from Inland Revenue:

Useful Links: (creative industries website)
Department of Labour website

Emergency Services and Service Provider Links

Emergency Services Phone 111
Non-emergency traffic incidents call *555 from your mobile

Phone 111 for urgent assistance from Police, Ambulance, or Fire Brigades. This is a free call from any phone in New Zealand, even a phone box or disconnected mobile phone. For TTY users (hearing/speech impaired), call 0800 16 16 16.
When you dial 111, an operator will ask which service you require – ambulance, police or fire. When you are on the phone, it is important to remain calm and speak slowly. Do not hang up until the operator has received the required information.
You should call 111 in a life threatening or time critical emergency, such as when:
Someone is seriously injured or in danger
There is serious risk to life or property
A crime is being committed and/or a further crime may be committed
Someone you suspect has committed a crime is close by or their location is known, and there is an opportunity to arrest the suspect
Witnesses may leave the scene of a crime or evidence might be lost if police do not get there quickly
A victim is seriously distressed

Non-emergency crimes and traffic incidents
Non-emergency crimes, such as burglary, theft, vandalism can be reported to your local police station or the Christchurch Central Police Station.
Further details are available in the Student Handbook.